European Prize for Applied Arts 2012
What is Applied Arts? ” When creating bursts into daily life, when jewellery becomes message, when ceramics becomes poem, when design changes life, when the artists have a fresh look at everything of daily life, and create unique pieces through the “intelligence of the hand”, this is what Applied Arts means.
Objects and furniture design, textile design, contemporary ceramics, jewellery and silversmithing, glass, metalwork,… Come and discover the best of European Applied Arts, during summertime, at the Grand Hall of the “Abattoirs Abattoirs” of Mons (Belgium).
Seasoned designers and young talents, whose creations will be on show in the magnificent showcase of the Grand Hall, interact thanks to an exhibition design from entrusted to Evelyne Gilmont, a designer from Brussels teaching at the School of Plastic and Visual Arts of Mons” courtesy of WCC-BF website
From a total of 550 applications from all around Europe, the jury met at the WCC-BF’s gallery in Mons and selected just 86 applications for the exhibition
The following experts selected the work
- Alice Cantigniau, Culture Service, City Mons
- Vincent Cartuyvels, Director Artschool ” Le 75″, Brussels
- Liesbeth Den Besten, art critic, curator, expert in contemporary jewellery
- Stéphanie Le Follic-Hadida, Art historian, Art Director Gallery Collection, Paris
- Hélène Martiat, Inspector Art Education, Ministry of Education
- Frank Steyaert, Ceramicist, collector, Director Gallery Steyaert, Gent
Zoe Robertson commented ” I am extremely delighted to be selected for this prestigious exhibition and to be amongst such esteemed company alongside applied artists of the highest calibre is a great honour”
Amongst the exhibits an international jury of experts will award, two prizes which will be announced at the private view:
- The Master Prize, which carries a money prize of €3,500, conferred on an artist over 35 years of age, author of a key work.
- The Young Talent Prize, which carries a money prize of €3,000, conferred on a young artist aged 35 at most
The European Prize for Applied arts will take place from 14th July until 9th September, 2012 at Les Anciens Abattoirs, Mons, Belgium at the World Crafts Council-Europe. Organised by WCC-BF, in partnership with the City of Mons and WCC-Europe. With the support of the Plastic Arts Department of the Federation Wallonia Brussels and Design Vlaanderen
For further information please visit: World Crafts Council
PRESS RELEASE: Courtesy of European Prize